Call the CouncilMenu

Permit to burn within the township

In South Australia burning in the open (which includes burning in a domestic incinerator) is managed by local government using provisions in the Environment Protection (Air Quality) Policy 2016.

Burning in the open is a common practice, however smoke from these activities can impact on health and environment and also cause a nuisance.

If you live WITHIN the township of Naracoorte, Lucindale, Kybybolite, Frances or Hynam you can only burn when it is for:

  • preparation of food or beverages where the size of the fire and fuel are appropriate for that purpose
  • heating an outdoor area using a brazier, chiminea or fire pit – charcoal only
  • fire prevention or control (vegetation) – requires council approval (permit or notice)
  • disposal of agricultural or forestry waste (vegetation) – requires council approval (permit or notice)
  • other – requires council approval (permit or notice)

Burning of offensive materials is prohibited and will occur an on the spot expiation. Offensive materials include tyres, mattresses, furniture, plastics, chemicals, aerosols, etc.

If you burn without the required permit you may be fined $300 under section 34 of the Environment Protection Act 1993 by Council or SA Police.

If you are unsure, check with Council to determine if you are able to burn or require a permit.

For more information on burning permits click here.